Mufg Japan | Mufg New York | Mufg London At Www. Mufg.Com
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) is one of the world’s largest comprehensive financial groups, comprising a diverse range of leading companies in a wide array of financial businesses.
The company was formed on the 1st of October 2005 with the merger of Tokyo-based Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group (MTFG), formerly Japan’s second-largest banking conglomerate, and Osaka-based UFJ Holdings, which was Japan’s fourth-largest banking group.
- Deals and Acquisitions since 2006
- Products and Services
History Of mufg japan
The history of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) can be traced to 1880. In 1880 Mitsubishi Bank and Yokohama Specie Bank (forerunner of the Bank of Tokyo) were established by a former samurai Yataro Iwasaki after the end of the Shogunate. In April 1996, The Mitsubishi Bank, Ltd. and The Bank of Tokyo, Ltd. Merged and Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group (MTFG)was born.
“UFJ” an abbreviation of “United Financial of Japan”, was formed in 2002 from a merger of Sanwa Bank, Tokai Bank, and the Toyo Trust & Banking Co. Ltd, a part of the Toyota Motor Corporation. At the time of its formation, the bank had records of corruption and making bad loans to crime syndicates. It eventually became the world’s largest money-losing corporation.
In July 2004, it offered to merge with Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group. The merger of the two banks was completed on the 1st of October 2005 and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) was born. Also birthed was Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking, Mitsubishi UFJ Securities.
The core banking units of MTFG and UFJ, The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, Ltd. and UFJ Bank, respectively, continued to operate separately until January 1, 2006, when they were merged to form The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.
Deals and Acquisitions Since 2006 | Mufg Japan
- In 2008, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial bought the 34.6% of UnionBanCal Corp that it didn’t already own for $3.5-billion. Mitsubishi UFJ Financial had a majority stake in Union Bank of California since 1996, which was formed when the Californian subsidiaries of the Bank of Tokyo and Mitsubishi Bank combined
- On the 29th of September 2008, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial group bought 21% of Morgan Stanley for $9.0-billion
- In 2013, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial group bought 72% of Thailand’s Bank of Ayudhya PCL for $5.2-billion from GE Capital International Holdings Corp. and other shareholders.
- In January 2016, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial group acquiring a 20% stake in the Philippine’s Security Bank
Products And Services Of Mufg Japan
- Personal Banking
- Corporate Banking
- Investment Banking
- Investment Management
- Wealth Management
- Credit Cards
The Company has different segments which include Integrated Retail Banking Business Group, Integrated Corporate Banking Business Group, Integrated Trust Assets Business Group, Integrated Global Business Group and Krungsri.
To visit the online version of Japan postal bank, click here. or login to Mufg.jp.